Ngapuhi Flag Station Restoration Upper Waihou Valley School Burrell Steam Traction Engine
|The picture is of the first train(named Taiamai) to reach Kaikohe when the railway was declared open by Prime Minister W F Massey in 1914. About 5 km south of Kaikohe was the small Flag station at Ngapuhi . This was a station that the train only stopped at if a flag waved them down to load or off load. This Flag station is part of our collection of historic buildings & we raised the funding to restore it. It is now completed and has been placed in the Village complex. The diesel locomotive 'Kaimai' now also stops at this flag station.||
The picture is of school children of 1900's at the adjoining Utakura school. The Upper Waihou Valley school has been donated to the Village but we need funding to move it to the village and restore it. When it is restored it will be used as a youth and education center at the Village
The 1908 8hp Burrell steam Traction engine's boiler needed expensive repairs. It has been exchanged for a 1901 Burrell steam engine which is running and we have purchased the trailor that goes with it.
There are currently no news items